Friday, February 8, 2019

Photos of the Day: Remembering My Trip to Kennedy Space Center!

Enshrouded by the Rotating Service Structure (which has since been removed), space shuttle Discovery stands poised for launch atop Pad 39A at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida...on February 8, 2009.

Just thought I'd share these pictures that I took during my trip to NASA's Kennedy Space Center (KSC) in Florida...which occurred 10 years ago today! I flew to Orlando on February 7, 2009, and made the 11-mile trip from my hotel to Cape Canaveral the next day (and the day after that) to finally see the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) and Launch Complex 39 in person. Needless to say, I totally geeked out when I saw the VAB's imposing structure in the distance, as I drove across the bridge that spanned the Indian River and led to the KSC Visitor Complex a few miles away. And I geeked out even more when I saw space shuttle Discovery sitting quietly on the pad (and enshrouded by the Rotating Service Structure, which no longer exists at the site) at Launch Complex 39A—ready to embark on flight STS-119 a month later.

Posing with space shuttle Discovery behind me at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida...on February 9, 2009.

I look forward to visiting KSC again next year (hopefully)...to visit the space shuttle Atlantis exhibit and of course, seeing the Space Launch System standing tall at Launch Complex 39B as it gears up for Exploration Mission-1. Happy Friday!

LINK: Additional photos I took during my 2009 trip to NASA's Kennedy Space Center

Enshrouded by the Rotating Service Structure, space shuttle Discovery stands poised for launch atop Pad 39A at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida...on February 9, 2009.

Posing with the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) behind me at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida...on February 8, 2009.

Posing with the VAB behind me at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida...on February 9, 2009.

A snapshot of the VAB and two Orbiter Processing Facilities at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida...on February 9, 2009.

A Lunar Excursion Module on display inside the Apollo/Saturn V Center at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida...on February 8, 2009.

Apollo and Saturn V flight hardware on display inside the Apollo/Saturn V Center at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida...on February 8, 2009.

Posing underneath the Saturn V rocket inside the Apollo/Saturn V Center at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida...on February 8, 2009.

A snapshot of the Rocket Garden at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex in Florida...on February 8, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment